Sample questions for the final exam
What is the purpose of Samba and what tasks does it support?
What was the most important or shocking thing you learned in this class, be specific.
Name three ways you can protect yourself from potential ethics violations
Why is it important to have regular backups? Are there any drawbacks?
Which command and argument will set the domain name of a computer to eecs.cse.lehigh.edu?
What is a CNAME?
What is the purpose of a hypervisor? What is the difference between a Native Hypervisor and Hosted Hypervisor?
Calculate the budget for mitigating the damage dealt by an earthquake to a server room if the expected cost from the disaster is $5 million, the expected cost of reparations is $2 million, and the probability of an earthquake is 1 in 10,000.
What file does this represent?
passwd: files nis
shadow: files nis
group: files nis
#hosts: db files nisplus nis dns
hosts: files nis dns
bootparams: nis [NOTFOUND=return] files
What type of file does this resemble?
/ master(rw) trusty(rw,no_root_squash)
/usr *.local.domain(ro) @trusted(rw)<
Which file does Linux look at to determine which name server to use to answer a DNS query?
Provide several (4-5) benefits of virtualization.
What are the main three restore scenarios, who needs those restores, and what do they need restored?
hat command is used to restart a machine?
What does chroot do?
What is a level 0 backup?
Why is a disaster recovery plan important?
What kernel module is aliased as dos and which type of file system is it?
How can virtualization be beneficial to enterprise data centers?
Suggested questions from prior years:
- What are the two types of backups and what levels are they?
- What are some advantages of using dump: Give 5
- How must a system administrator act like a medical professional?
- Given the dump sequence 0 2 4 3 2 5, which dumps would you use for the restore?
- How does a virtual OS interact with Hardware?
- What is NIS used for?
- What are three reasons you need restores from backups?
- Explain the difference between the two types of Hypervisors.
- What are the benefits of virtualization, and what is one situation
where you would want
to use a VM instead of a physical machine?
- Where are NIS server data files stored?
- What is the difference between a native system virtual machine and a
hosted system virtual machine?
- What is the aim of a Virtual Appliance?
- Suppose you are running a Windows machine, but you have a program
needs to run in a Linux environment. How can you run the program while
still technically using your Windows machine?
- If an FBI agent shows up at your office claiming he needs access to
private information pertaining to an employee at your company what is
very first action that you should take?
- How does CentOS modify and filter packets? When would this be
Name a possible alternative.
- Which file would you modify to allow a computer to make use of a NIS
- Suppose you are being hired to provide backup services for a third
What are the important details that need to be included in the contract?
- List two reasons why backups are essential.
- From a security perspective, why is it preferable to have users
authenticate with LDAP instead of NIS?
- What is the difference between a native and a hosted virtual machine
- How would you ban access to a certain website using squid?
- What are the different levels on the 'dump' command. What do they
the default level?
- What 2 commands are necessary to mount a potentially corrupted lvm
- If a higher up manager comes to you, and asks you to read
an email about an employee, how would you respond.
- Name the three types of restores and the different kinds of
- What is the difference between a virtual machine and a
- What is a virtual appliance and why would it be desirable over
services directly in your host operating system?
- What are the associated benefits of using virtualization software?
a few examples of each benefit...
- What is the level of the dump that this command would start
restoring with: restore -r ?
- Why are incremental backups considered to be level 1, and what do
- What are 2 benefits of Virtualization?
- What are three reasons to need restores?
- What is the advantage to using virtual appliances on servers to serve
different functions rather than simply installing the processes on the
- Why are hot swappable parts desirable in a data center?
- What is the name of a device that automatically changes removable
media among a set of drives? (Hint: It's name is part of the title of
a popular song released in 1981 by the rock band Foreigner)
- Why should filesystem activity be restricted during dumps and how
can this be achieved?
- What are three different reasons to need to restore a file system?
- List some advantages and disadvantages of using tapes for backup versus
using other removable medias.
- List 5 responsibilities of a system admin
- What is the difference between REJECT and DROP in an iptable?
- What could be an unforseen circumstance of keeping archived media backed up
on proprietary media?
- What's the difference between DROPping and REJECTing a packet with
- As a system administrator, how often should you back up your systems?
- /proc contains what type of files, and what is their use?
- What are the differences between full backups and incremental backups?
- What are the differences between rdist and rsync?
- Why is it important to have a backup center that is not close to
your main facility?
- What is the difference between native and hosted virtual machine
- What are the benefits of using virtualization software?
- Describe in detail the reasoning behind using a Full+Incremental
Since a full backup uses so much more space than an incremental
backup, why is it still prudent to do a full backup every few weeks?
What disasters do backups mitigate that would not be mitigated by
redundancy (such as RAID)?
What is the main configuration file for apache?
What does line "/share auto_share" in /etc/auto_master mean?
What are some advantages of Subversion over CVS?
What is NAT and how does it improve network security?
What are appropriate temperature and humidity levels for a data
center and why?
List several steps that a SA can take to prevent themselves from
being accountable for suspicious/questionable requests.
Name 3 natural disasters that could affect your data center and how you
try to plan for them.
Given the following dump sequence, which tapes are required for
(The numbers represent the backup levels as in the
lecture notes. Underline the proper tapes from the following list)
0 4 5 4 4 5 3 9 3
Last revised: 10 December 2014, Prof. Davison.