Daniel P. Lopresti: Resources
the following information was accurate at the time
this page was last
updated. If you find any discrepancies, please
let me know.
|My Guidelines for Prospective Graduate Students
Graduate Student Research (updated March
|Other Good Readings for Graduate Students
of stupidity in scientific research,"
of Cell Science,
Levels Of Plagiarism"
1. Uncredited verbatim copying of a full paper. Results in a violation notice in the later article’s bibliographic record and a suspension of the offender’s IEEE publication privileges for up to five years.
2. Uncredited verbatim copying of a large portion (up to half) of a paper. Results in a violation notice in the later article’s bibliographic record and a suspension of publication privileges for up to five years.
3. Uncredited verbatim copying of individual elements such as sentences, paragraphs, or illustrations. May result in a violation notice in the later article’s bibliographic record. In addition, a written apology must be submitted to the original creator to avoid suspension of publication privileges for up to three years.
4. Uncredited improper paraphrasing of pages or paragraphs (by changing a few words or phrases or rearranging the original sentence order). Calls for a written apology to avoid suspension of publication privileges and a possible violation notice in the later article’s bibliographic record.
5. Credited verbatim copying of a major portion of a paper without clear delineation of who did or wrote what. Requires a written apology, and to avoid suspension, the document must be corrected.
|Fellowship Opportunities for Graduate Students*
Bioinformatics and Computational Biology
Scholarship Program (posted 7/26/10)
|Research PhD Fellowship Program (posted 7/26/10)
Note: I often receive announcements
regarding fellowship and
scholarship opportunities for graduate
students. There are far too many
for me to investigate the details of each of
them myself -- I post them
here so that students may do their own